Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Kale Salad w/ Crispy Pancetta*

Kale Salad w. Crispy Pancetta

I have to admit, I have been a little nervous about the kale movement that has been occurring. Widely accepted as the “it” leaf of the moment, Kale has officially replaced cilantro, avocado, spinach, Greek yogurt, and all the other famous super foods. Minimal calories and enough vitamins and nutrients to be considered one of the “world’s healthiest foods,” jumping on the Kale bandwagon is daunting. With support, encouragement, and downright consistent demands from my hubby I finally caved and gave the old kale salad a try…

What a delicious surprise. In one sitting, I can say I am a true convert. Maybe not enough to replace my classic romaine or assorted leafy greens, but definitely willing to add it to the weekly shopping list and place in heavy eating rotation! Check out this great Kale salad recipe and prepare yourself to see more like it!

Kale Salad w/ Crispy Pancetta*

1/3 cup olive oil
4-5 slices of pancetta
¼ cup white wine vinegar
¼ cup pure maple syrup (this is not an ingredient you would want to substitute for regular maple syrup)
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
1 8oz bushel of Kale
2-3 handfuls of blueberries
2-3 handfuls of chopped candied pecans, if desired (recipe here)

Combine the olive oil and pancetta in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, flipping frequently, until pancetta is golden and crispy (about 5 minutes total). Set pancetta aside and pour pan contents into a small bowl.
Chop the crispy pancetta into small pieces for garnish at the end.
Add the white wine vinegar, maple syrup, salt, pepper, and whisk.
Combine the kale, blueberries, and candied pecans into a large bowl. Toss while adding the dressing, little by little, until the salad is well dressed (taste as you go).
 Garnish with the crispy pancetta.

*The salad dressing makes enough for two good size Kale salads!

Enjoy
e&e


2 comments:

  1. Two thousand, seven hundred hits...I am totally impressed and amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,

    I made this salad tonight for dinner with special pancetta my mom bought us from Spain. I changed it up a bit because I didn't have pecans in the house, so I just used regular pine nuts. It was absolutely delicious! I added just a touch of the olive oil I cooked the pancetta in. I'll be trying this again with perhaps another version too. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete