Monday, July 16, 2012

7.16.12


There are very few things I can say for sure regarding the long and winding journey of grief. Having experienced more loss than some, but not nearly as much as others. An expert I am not, a novice just maybe. What I do know for sure is nine years later I still have moments of disbelief, days of sadness, and momentary signs of a father who left me too early: A rain shower on a clear afternoon, a breeze that graces my face on a still day, and a feeling in the pit of my stomach that lets me know I am still on the right path. This day is an annual reminder of the precious moments that make life so wonderful.

The stories that are told and the memories that are reminisced prove his legacy was and still is great. So great, that on this day every year his devoted admirers set their normal daily routine aside and live a life or even just a moment a little bit harder for him. From ocean to ocean people are taking a moment today to truly live…in his honor. Celebrating a life that was lived fully and completely.

This day is also a reminder of the distance I have traveled—nine years missing my rudder and many of those years spent lost, navigating life, decisions, and love on my own. I wondered if I would ever come out on the other side. Not sure if I am safely on the other side or if the other side even exists, I do know that I have traveled a great distance from that fateful morning that changed everything. Now able to recognize that that instant was just one among many, all part of a larger plan, a plan that I am now beginning to see, feel, and experience as each ah-ha moment occurs.

Acceptance that the rudder may never return has been a difficult and sometimes very sad realization, but one that has remained crucial to my happiness. Learning that a rudder is merely one source not the only source of direction has been another important lesson. I say this because the wind in my sails returned thanks to one special man friend, and direction I most certainly have found. He has the same expectation from life that I was so accustomed to, he has the same intensity towards adventure that dictated my childhood, and he has the same twinkle in his eye when a peak has been scaled, a black diamond has been defeated, and a new skill has been artfully mastered. The rudder I have learned to live without, because the wind has proven to give me direction and it is that twinkle that truly keeps me going.

e&e

The Rudder, The Wind, & The Twinkle...Life Is Good

No comments:

Post a Comment